Spring is in the air and that can only mean one thing is coming…Easter Eggs! Great for us humans, not at all for our furry friends with the scavenger gene.

Giving chocolate to your pet is a big no, dogs can’t have it even as a treat. The reason is a chemical called Theobromine which is poisonous to animals. Darker chocolate contains a higher quantity of Theobromine so it the highest risk of causing life threatening problems to the heart, along with a lot of other nasty side effects. White chocolate, even though unlikely to cause Theobromine poisoning, will still make a dog ill due to it high sugar and fat content.

So this Easter, keep Chocolates out of reach as at first glance those boxes do look very appealing to our furry friends, especially those that can’t refuse a box to play with. And if you are doing an Easter Egg hunt, keep a track of how many eggs have been hidden to count up those that are found, as dogs are great at sniffing out things that we can’t see.

If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, please call your veterinary practice who will be able to advise of what you need to do.

Pin It on Pinterest